This is one of my favorite before and afters that I have seen in a long time courtesy of design sponge:
Truly, I love everything about it, especially how this one piece can transform a simple, perhaps mostly white, child’s room with a pop of color. The design has almost a Scandinavian folk art feel to it which is ironic as the wardrobe, pre-makeover is from IKEA! Melding embroidery with furniture design is so unique and yet is so perfect. I also love that this is a how-to that has a big impact but is relatively easy to do. And of course I LOVE that it is green.
Here’s how courtesy of Diana:
Time: 2 days
Basics Steps: Growing sick and tired of an old spruce Ikea wardrobe in my daughter’s room but still liking the perfect size and simple form, I bought a big pot of green paint. Of course “just” painting would be a bit too easy 😉 So after some thinking I came up with the idea of perforating the doors with a pattern of small holes, and then adding some extra colour by “embroidering” a pattern onto them. The good thing about this decoration is that we can experiment with new colours and patterns whenever we like, and my seven-year-old can also pick up some thread and embellish her own wardrobe doors, adding old buttons and wooden pearls on the way.
Here’s how I did it: I sanded and primed the wardrobe, then I took out the doors so working on the pattern would be easier. Taking the proportions of the doors into account, I designed a pattern for the holes. I decided to keep it easy and started off with the idea of a circle. I drew the right circle size with a compass on a piece of paper and placed a pattern of points in regular intervals until I was happy with the result (not too many points, but still enough to make the pattern versatile).
I went back to the doors and measured out the centre. I placed the paper with the pattern on the right spot and taped it on the door. Then I took one of those hand drills and made the holes according to the pattern. I started with a small size drill so as not to damage the soft wood, and then took the next size drill to widen the existing hole. After a bit of sanding to smooth out the edges of the holes, I applied two coats of green paint. I mounted the doors again, and then it was time to play with some wool and neon thread I had lying around! — Diana